Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday! Baby Dress How to...

After what seems like forever, to me, I have put together a TUTORIAL! (if you don't know, I have started a new job, so it's been an adjustment period, so my time has been a little tighter)

And what type of Tutorial do I have planned for all of you today!? Why an awesome one of course:). I'm going to be talking you through how to make a Baby / Toddler Dress out of an old T-shirt.

Materials Needed:
1 Old T-shirt of your choice
1 Sewing Machine (with the thread that matches the T-shirt)
1 Pair of Scissors
Some pins to hold things in place.

You might also like a cup of tea while you do this.

First things first, you need to pick out a t-shirt that you think will become a good dress.

Then you'll need to cut out two sections.

I cut the very bottom of the T-shirt for the bottom of the dress and the part around the neck.
I made sure to have over an inch on either side of the neckline for the straps. (also depending on the neck line, it might be a little low, so you might need to have a little extra bit to add to the neck line) .

You'll need to gather the base of the dress before you pin it to the top. After you gather the base of the dress, you'll need to take the top of the dress, turn it inside out and sew about 2 inches up both sides. There should be enough room for the arms in the arm holes.
Then you'll need to pin the top to the bottom. Make sure that both "outsides" are facing each other  when you pin them together so the seam will be facing the "inside". After you finish pinning it you can sew them together. I don't have a surger, so I did a regular stitch followed by a zig zag stitch. After you've done this You have a baby dress. (don't forget to take out all the pins)

Now I did a little extra on my dress so don't feel the need to do this to your baby dress.
I sewed some "t-shirt yarn" to make a pretty pattern.

You'll need to make small incisions about an inch apart from one another, I did three rows, but how many rows you do is up to you.
 You then just weave or stitch it through the holes you already created.
When you're done... You'll have something that looks like the dress above. I had to add a little paneling to the neck line because it was a little too low for my baby.
And the only other step you have now is ... to put it on a baby!
Doesn't she look cute in her new baby dress? And so good at posing.
I couldn't resist adding this picture in, She wasn't quite ready for the flash, but she was ready with a nice pose.

Hope you like this Baby Dress idea!
And for all those who craft :) Hope you try crafting something like this.
Blessings


3 comments:

  1. That's fabulous, both the dress and the baby~! Way to go Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I have a few more baby dresses in my plan book that I can't wait to try to make. I just need to make some time first :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a brilliant idea...
    both baby & the dress so cute...

    ReplyDelete