Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday

I wore my awesome embroidered shoes to work today. And I am so thankful for all the compliments I got of them! (makes me beam) I promised a few people at work that I would teach them how to make them, so I thought "WHY NOT PUT IT ON MY BLOG!" So that is what I will do. And this leads us to the birth of a new segment called TUTORIAL TUESDAY!

I've decided that I will post tutorials of things that I think are useful on Tuesdays. This could be either things that I think are awesome from other sites (which I'll link you up to), or of things that I have created and made a tutorial for.

And without further delay (drum roll please........... ) TUTORIAL TUESDAY!!!


First things first you need to pick a pair of shoes.
You can choose to use new shoes if you want, but the great thing about using old shoes is that you can add the stitching very very easily. (newer shoes tend to be more stiff)

So I picked my old comfy green shoes (H&M).





Next you need to add your design to the shoes (unless you are totally crazy and want to free style it, if that's the case... Go for it! Get inspired and do your thing!)

I used a marker to add a triangle pattern to the shoe.


Then I did a back stitch over the patter. Make sure you don't start doing hard core embroidery yet. Doing a back stitch makes it a lot easier (embroidering shoes can be tough because of the material, this technique will save your thumbs and needles too much hard work.






 I found this amazing stitch guide on Pinterest! But I couldn't find the original source. I used the back stitch to stitch on the triangle pattern.


Once your done adding the pattern onto it, it'll look something like this. (mine is pretty messy, I didn't really worry too much about perfection in this project because I wanted a very bohemian feel, but if you want a crisper feel, then you might need to make straighter lines). Once you've done this, it's time to add the triangles on . You can keep with doing a back stitch hooking onto the red threads that are already there. This is really important DO NOT STITCH INTO THE FABRIC at the point. Instead, stitch into the red lines that are already on the shoe.


I wish I had a picture of how I actually did the stitching for the triangles, but I'm sure that you all will be able to figure that out.

In the end you'll have a wonderful pair of shoes to wear and show off to your friends.

I'm working on a PDF illustration for the whole process that can be uploaded later. But until that day comes (which I'm pretty sure will be soon) all I have is the rough draft.

Please forgive me if there are any spelling, grammar, or other mistakes. My spelling is atrocious, and my grammar isn't all that to write home about either. BUT I can be creative, and I hope that will make up for it.

Embroidery Tutorial Rough Draft
Hope to add more cool things to this blog soon!!!
Blessings!





No comments:

Post a Comment